I suggest a some axioms for thinking about this.
- There is consciousness and there are forms (bodies).
- Consciousness evolves by incarnating in form.
- There are degrees or levels of control.
- The earlier stages of evolution are characterized by dominance of form over consciousness.
- More advanced stages of evolution result in the dominance of consciousness over form.
- The limiting factor of form provides the resistance against which consciousness strives and this is key to evolution and growth.
- Ultimately, consciousness is the controlling factor.
About #1 in the above list, “you” are consciousness itself but temporarily identified with form which is to say with body and associated thoughts and emotional habits. These “forms” of the illustory “you” are conditioned (controlled to a degree) by genetics, by society, family, environmental factors, good and bad education, habits of thought and emotion, traditions, etc. All these formal factors exercise a measure of control and you are unconsciously controlled by them. So, in this sense, the “who” of your question is the many persons and circumstances of the life-matrix into which you were born.
“Matrix” is a good word here, and I refer you to the Wikipedia article,and to this passage:
“The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are popular cultural symbols representing the choice between:
- Knowledge, freedom, adversity and the brutal truth of reality (red pill)
- Falsehood, security, happiness and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill) “
The blue pill is consciousness freed and, in some measure, in control of form. So there are two answers to your question.
- In the more limited state, the world controls you, “they” control you, and you are the victim of propaganda and part of the mass consciousness that, symbolically speaking, is under the illusion of the matrix. At this stage your will, intelligence, and control are embryonic.
- In the less limited state, a measure of evolution has done its work and you have a measure of real freedom—you are conscious and exercise will and intelligence so as to achieve a degree of freedom. You are awake to the matrix of illusion and have a measure of enlightenment about your real identity and the nature of life. At this stage, your will, intelligence, and love, have begun to flower and to a significant degree “You” as consciousness are in control.